Rickenbacker 4003 Bass
Submitted: September 10th, 2007
by P.Parent
Less bottom than the standard hi-gain bass pickup but if you are into crisp, cruchchy, ringing piano-like sounds, stop looking. I used the 4003 with an Ampeg rig consisting of a B2re head and 2 SVT 410 HE cabs. Sounds as good as my first brand new 4001 back in 1972.
I own and owned several RICs and other brands of musical instruments and Rickenbacker is in a class by itself as far as reliabilty is concerned. Contrary to some urban legends, the 4003 is not a fragile instrument. By the way I am not a all-year gigging musician therefore I take great care of my stuff and by simply avoiding the typical idiotic macho behaviour of many colleagues out there; example : carrying the bass in the trunk of your car while the case "sleeps" under your bed. Anyway, banging guitars off the wall should not be a criteria to prove the instrument is well-made!
General Comments
RIC seems to be stubborn in producing super wide variety of special features and options work or in introducing new models and that is probably why I love these instruments so much. NO MARKETING BULSH>>>! One good wood, good hardware and dedicated people!