Rickenbacker 230
Submitted: January 29th, 2006
by P.Parent
Sound is rich and unique with perfect balance between low, mid and high. Every note from strumming chords comes out loud and clear. The only other guitar that comes close is another RIC be they 300's or 600's series. These days I play it through 2 Vox VR-30 and I use a Boss VF-1 effcts processor. Results? well whether I play, clean, distorted or completly weird stuff, it all sounds great to me.
This guitar surely seen many bars if not many owners therefore this guitar in no longer cosmetically impeccable. That said, this piece of wood will last forever, espicially in my hands cause I take great care of my instruments. The finish in no longer perfect in term of scratches etc, but the paint work still look like new. The harware is solid and still shiny (except the strap buttons)
General Comments
I have been playing bass and guitar since I am 12 and I will be 52 in February. I bought and sold many guitars and basses over the years and strange enough the only one I still have other than the 230)is a RIC 350 (1988). I admit I sold a few other RIC's in the past only because I had no other means to pay the rent but it was always with deep regrets. I also sold a couple of real Fenders and Gibsons but I never shed a tear over these. If that guitar was stolen I would get another one - if I could find another one.