Nord Stage 88 Stage Piano
Submitted: May 28th, 2008
by abwdds
The NS88 has a limited range of instruments/sounds, but it no doubt excells at what it does have. I have found that I can tweak the pianos to fit any need. Onboard effects are really good (the organ rotating speaker effect and overdrive are PHENOMENAL !!). One thing that I have to comment on is the electric piano (Rhodes) sounds. One of my benchmarks here is the "grunt and belch" of a real Rhodes when you spank it hard in the lower 2 octaves...none of my workstations do this (although maybe the yet to be released ARX SuperNatural electric piano card for the Fantom G8 will address this)..but the NS88 has it nailed !! And the Wurlies are awesome as well. The acoustic pianos are a matter of taste, and are very subjective obviously. I have found that the pianos of the Motif XS and Fantom G are really great, but for some reason the grand pianos on the NS88 just seem to "fit" better when playing live...maybe it's because the piano is more raw and less processed on the Nord.
Every Clavia product that I have ever owned (NL2x, NL3, NE73-2, and NS88) have been totally dependable and trouble free...and I would never feel the need to take a backup instrument.
General Comments
If something were to happen, I would immediately replace this with another NS88. Even though I own a lot of other 'boards, this one does what I need for my jazz gig impeccably...and it weighs 20-30 lbs less than they do