Musitronics/Mu-Tron Bi-Phase
Submitted: October 31st, 1998
by John Biondich
The effect is OK. The overall phase sweep when using a single side is not as deep sounding as the Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek SMALL STONE, but the Bi-Phase stereo options and controls give this Mu-Tron a significant advantage over all other phaser units and in fact when the unit is run in stereo very cool phase effects can be created. The feedback control however does need to be turned up for the less than subtle desired effects. The unit is also very quite. Oh. And I almost forgot: The Foot-Pedal allows for complete control over "rate" AND "sweep" for BOTH sides!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Extremely rewarding. This feature transcends the Bi-Phase to a higher level of awesomeness.
Fairly reliable. I do have to get it looked at though. The B Side input is a little intermittent when used on its own. However, full stereo phase is still attainable using the A Side input with both A and B outputs! Considering the unit is over 20 years old it's still very reliable.
General Comments
I'm using this in the studio as an external effect unit. It gives me the exact phase sound that I was looking for. I'm primarily using it for roots reggae and dub, as well as for alt. rock sounds, anything that needs a good phase.