Musicman Axis sport
Submitted: December 31st, 2017
by Donluke
Very poor sound as pickups far too low and cannot adjust
Looks a well built guitar, shame really
Would not ever buy another at this price
General Comments
I bought a beautiful Family Reserve Musicman Axis Sport with solid rosewood neck. I made the mistake of being taken in by the lovely looks and playability of the guitar and sort of took it for granted a guitar at this price would have no flaws that could not be addressed by a setup.The guitar does have a wonderful low action but the sound was very poor especially in the split coil positions.I went to raise the pickups to be horrified to see they are hard fixed to the body and can’t be adjusted. Shocking design flaw for a maker of this repute.The pickups are way too low under the strings, 5mm gap under the neck pickup and 4.5mm under the bridge, holding the low an high E strings down at the last fret. The action cannot go lower and neck relief is perfect, so can’t see how this passed QC. Thought about shimming the pickups but sold to a collector instead who is aware of the fault.Quickly reverted back to my 2000 PRS McCarty, to be honest the musicman does not come close to my PRS and it is a Family Reserve Musicman!!!!I also don’t like the fact that playing at the 15th fret is like playing at the 20th on my other guitars, it feels like you are way up the fretboard.Cannot fault the looks of this guitar but not even close to my McCarty and Tom Anderson Classic.
30 years gigging musician and local repairman, specialising setups refrets, electronic upgrades etc