Music Man RD-112 One Hundred
Submitted: August 2nd, 2008
by toolatetorock
Using this fine amp for 25 years. In the beginning I used it with 60's Fender 2x12 speaker cabinets. One was equipped with original Jensen's, the other with 70's Celestions. After a while I found out, it was completely unnecessary. This amp is more than loud enough, and the use of the speaker cabinets doesn't improve the sound of the build-in EV. I used dozens of 60's Fender amps before I stumbled on the Music Man. I was always unhappy about the one trick pony quality of the old Twin Reverbs and Bandmasters. I don't like to use pedals, but what else can you do with these old one channel amps. Than I stepped on to the Music Man, don't forget, this is still Leo Fender. Vintage Fender amps, especially played with single coil guitars, can sometimes sound a bit shrill. For example an old Twin reverb. Give him minimum 50 watts up, great sound. But what happens with the rest of the band, cause they only hear guitar? What happens with the poor people on the mixer in a live situation. "I can't put you on the PA, cause you're tooloud on your amp". Believe me, I've had a lot of discussions about that thing. So the Music Man is a step further. The clean channel is still the best I've heard, no matter of style. I can't understand the reviews of people who dislike the lead channel. I've mostly used the lead channel without any pedal and I think it really sounds great. Also I'm mostly on Les Pauls, never found out the amp sounds better with single coil guitars. The lead channel is a perfect stage for dirty rock'n'roll, just the way it is. myspace.com/chineseparty, all rhythm and lead parts are played with just switching the channels, no pedals were used. The guitar was a 1976 Gibson Les Paul Custom. I think the Les Paul Customs are not famous for being dirty, so it must be the amp. Way back in the 90's the tubes had been changed to Ruby Tubes, but I couldn't get any difference. Apart from that dirty rock'n'roll thing I've played Americana, Ballads, Reggae and Country with this amp and was never just near the idea of changing my line-up. After all the experiences with a lot of today highly sought after vintage Fender amps, the Music Man is just the perfect working horse. Ooh, I forgot, I've also tried Mesa Boogie, Soldano and some more. The Music Man sounds authentic, that's the best compliment, I can do for an amp. It's not made for Metal, but who cares. Simply the best for Surf. Like others mentioned before, bass on 0, middle on 4-5, treble like you need it, you really need these settings to let the EV speaker shine.
It's my working horse for 25 years, some of this time was about sex and drugs and rock'n'roll, I think it's undestructible.
General Comments
Playing for 35 years. Funny thing is most of the reviews about Music Man amps are a veteran thing. As long as young people can get them here in Europe around EUR 400,-, it's an absolutely steal, highly recommended. This is a gorgeous great sounding versatile amp for nearly every kind of music apart from highly destorted new metal sounds. I think the Music Mans are the most underrated real great amps in history, get it while you can. After 25 years I can say, I will NEVER sell it. Some of the guitars which perfectly match with the Music Man: '76 Gibson Les Paul Custom, '83 Hamer Phantom A5 (just recently but absolute killer), '66 Gretsch Chet Atkins Tennessean, '67 Gretsch Double Annie, '66 Fender Telecaster, '66 Gibson Firebird, Yamaha SGV, lots more. I've had some hundred guitars as long I play the Music Man. I was never disappointed. Only Metal shredder guitars with Floyd Rose like Charvel's and Jackson's don't sound that good, but that's more a question of the guitar not the amp.