MOTU Fast Lane USB Midi Interface
Submitted: November 30th, 2001
by Kevin DuPre
As I understand it, all MIDI data passes through it in both directions. Because this unit uses USB it features better timing accuracy and increased bandwidth. The THRU button apparently allows one controller to play both sound modules, but I haven't tested this yet. Adjusting Cakewalk Express Gold settings to read both inputs and drive both outputs simultaneously was a simple process although Cakewalk Express was a little vague in how to get this to work - when presented with both ports and all 32 channels, I had to map one port and its 16 channels to one instrument and click OK, then reopen the Instruments dialog and map the second port and its 16 channels to the second instrument and click ok again. Finally in the song dialog I had to reselect the appropriate instrument and its patches for each track recorded so they could play the appropriate voice on the appropriate keyboard. From a simplicity standpoint, installing the MOTU FastLaneUSB and getting it up and running with my setup couldn't have been simpler. Getting it to work with my sequencer software was a little more challenging, but Cakewalk accommodated it with no problem. Just make sure that your sequencer can accept multiple source input and can drive multiple sources on the output.
MOTU seems to be well established in the industry. From a construction standpoint, this little unit is rock solid and built with quality. It comes with the USB cable and powers off of the USB interface. I feel that I could use it on a gig without a backup.
General Comments
I would buy this device again. With the plethora of MIDI I/O devices on the market at far higher prices this is a good alternative to expansion and can be done incrementally without having to lay out big cash for ports you don't need. Thanks to the Music Box in Utica, MI for introducing me to this product.