Moog Etherwave Theremin
Submitted: August 28th, 2001
by Mike Thompson-we3OX
This instrument is truely in a class of its own. The very fact that it responds directly to the movments within its vicinity, is a testiment to its experessivness. I'll admit when it comes to theremins this is the only REAL one I've played with. I have managed to get a tonal response from it at a distance of almost 5 feet away from the antenna. Trying to get a theremin to play a scale of notes is near impossible for the beginner, if I might qualify as such.
Reliability depends on the assembler. Because I purchased this unit in kit form I got to see first hand the type of construction used. The unit is put together pretty sturdy, but like most other instruments, one good earth shattering drop is all it takes to make things go bad. Put it together with love and care. Mount it on a tripod mic stand no more then 3 or 4 feet off the floor and your theremin will reward you with many sessions of rich, tonal, harmony.
General Comments
This instrument is one of the most unique I have ever to come in contact with. It was as much fun to build, as it is to play. I don't think I can get tired of it. There is no substitute for the rich analog tones that it creates. The performance of this instrument blew my mind compared to a theremin I pieced togther some time back, that tuned to a popular radio station when my hand was in just the right place. I like to think I earned this theremin through the construction of it. I like to think I know a little bit more about its creator from the documentation, videos, and actually having to solder some of the pieces. For almost an hour I just sat and looked at the circuit board noting its contours and placment of componants. From this I gathered that this insturment is more then the sum of its parts. People put there time, there thoughts, and there care into creating this product. Buying this unit in kit form allows YOU the owner to be part of that chain of events. It lets YOU get intimate with the design. I suggest buying this product as a kit, and its value to you will increase 10 fold.