MBM AE-201
Submitted: December 18th, 2017
by silentrex_
Quite good! The pups are hot as hell -- this thing churns out volume for days. Obviously it's no Tele Deluxe, but I'm quite impressed with the edgy, thick tone it gets on dirty settings (how I usually play) and the clarity of it played clean.
Haven't had it long enough to say, but no issues yet.
This compares favorably with Squiers, and this model is actually probably better for playing heavier rock than most Squier teles.  The closest comparison I can probably make is to GFS's Xaviere guitars, although the finish is nicer on this one than on the equivalent Xavieres I've seen.
General Comments
I won this guitar as a raffle prize earlier this year. I tracked down that these are rebranded Acepros (Acepro is a Korean company with a factory in China and a website straight out of the turn of the century) distributed in the Pacific NW mainly as student guitars. This model is a variation on their AE-201 thinline Tele knockoff with natural wood finish and a two-humbucker pickup configuration, as well as the usual maple neck and fingerboard, ash body, 3-way switch, and Kluson tuners. I wasn't sure whether I should keep it or pass it on to a beginner -- I also have a Tele Deluxe for the authentic sound, plus an ESP 400 Series tele for the heavier stuff -- but I found I actually like it! The only thing I had to do to it out of the bag was dress the fret ends, which were sharp and catching on my fingers, plus I swapped out the stock D'Addario 10s for 9s out of personal preference. It feels and sounds nice! As tempting as it might be to scoff at these random off-brand axes, often they're quite usable, and sometimes they become highly sought-after 30-40 years later, so you never know. :) Anyway, I'm tempted to play this one at a show in the near future to see how it does.
Have played guitar for 40 years. Have some respectable instruments but also a fondness for low- to mid-level underrated gems and weird stuff.