M-Live MERISH PLUS professional MIDI File and MP3 backing track player
Submitted: February 17th, 2011
by Jackson-bT3Zf
SoundsThe MIDI sound engine boasts over 600 instruments and 26 drum kits, all designed from the ground up. The GM/GS and M-Live MIDI sounds are very high quality. I have owned several MIDI file players over the years from Roland, Yamaha, Korg and so on - all very good during their time.General MIDI SoundsThe MERISH PLUS has transcended MIDI sounds into a new era, something that was begging to happen. More-so, this player will inject enthusiasm into MIDI Files, still the greatest format for backing tracks that new generations of musicians and performers must embrace. The bread and butter sounds like piano's, guitars, drums, bass, strings and so on are real and convincing. M-Live have included nice touches like guitar FX to add to any MIDI guitar sound.Extended Sound BankM-Live has developed their own super sound bank and it is here where you get some really powerful Instrument sounds. I have 'souped up' my MIDI Files using replacing GM sounds with M-Live sounds.  It's easy changing and saving sounds and you hear the changes in real time.  It takes me just a few moments to customise my MIDI backing tracks into something unique.The synth section is modern sounding and overall, through a PA or monitor speakers, the MERISH PLUS really pumps out a great sound.
I use my MERISH PLUS (purchased Feb 2011) almost every day in my home studio and 2 to 3 nights a week at gigs and to date, it hasn't blinked at all.The player is built strong with a solid metal casing, robust knobs, sliders and buttons. This feels 'real'. It's not a toy and I expect long and reliable service.  The rear panel inputs are solid and professional grade.
General Comments
While I'd like to see sampled instruments, some harmonizer pre-sets, an extra mic input and a guitar input, I have to give M-Live the credit they deserve.  They have created a professional backing track player that sounds awesome, is multi functional,  easy to use and built like a tank.Best of all, MERISH PLUS is sensibly priced. Now before anyone complains about the price, lets go back 20 years when the floppy disk, no edit, no save, bland and no nothing SD35 retailed at AU$1899.00. The SD35 was eagerly snapped up by tens of thousands of musicians all over the world.So, dollar for dollar, the MERISH PLUS is a feature enriched bargain. Also available are a pro quality stage stand with deluxe cover and a deluxe gig bag.  World wide distribution is through Hit Trax who offer excellent and friendly customer service and fast shipping anywhere in the world.UPDATE: The MERISH PLUS is also available as a 'Platinum Pack' that includes a strong stage stand, stand bag, deluxe gig bag, 8GB USB stick and 400 free songs (pre licensed).