Larrivee L-07
Submitted: December 9th, 2017
by jylarkin
Very interesting sound! It's not as deep as the L-09,  and not as deep as I'd prefer. Crystalline in clarity. Really sings and rings. It definitely adds a unique voice to the guitar stable.
Mine is a 1981-83 model? No one seems to know for sure as records at Larrivee were apparently spotty back then. It has it's fair share of dings and scratches but it is still a beautiful guitar and is structurally solid. Fret wear is minor after 34-36 years of play. All the tuning machines work perfectly. Holds tune. No seams splitting or binding peeling. It's a QUALITY build!
I got mine for $750, and I think I got it for a steal. I've seen used examples go for more than double!
General Comments
I own 4 Larrivees because I believe that Larrivee guitars are among the best money can buy. Each is very different, and each is loved. It would be tough to part with any of them, and this L-07 is no different. The design of this guitar makes me think of what an acoustic steel string guitar would look and sound like if a classical guitar luthier were to build a steel string. Lots of distinctive character in the sound. Mosaic marquetry rosette. Understated decorative appointments. Fun to play.
Been a hack for more than 3 decades, and have owned a lot of different guitars. Mostly acoustics, mostly high-end production models. Couple of customs.