Korg KP2 Kaoss Pad Digital Effect/Controller
Submitted: November 17th, 2004
by dbmayne
First, my "rig," "baby." It is: Crap guitar, MXR Blue Box, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Effector 13 modded Rat, KP-2, Boss dd-5 delay, and Boss DD-20 delay into a Fender Concert amplifier, Rivera design. Also, various "junk," ie Sony two-track reel-to-reel, Sony integrated stereo amplifier, RCA portable CD player, essentially what I can get my hands on. I hate to give the KP-2 a nine and lower its overall score, but there are simply some patches that aren't so great, namely the fuzz, but even that one depends on the application. The KP-2 has caused me to reevaluate not only how and what I play, but also why I play. Pretty heavy, no? Certain effects are not so great (fuzz, reverbs), most are great, and some are the best I've heard - the pitch shifting blows away the Whammy and the various Boss PS's. Yes, you can play chords. And they sound massive.
I've only had it a couple of weeks; therefore, I cannot answer this with any authority. BUT, it appears solid. Looks like Korg learned from its mistakes (horrible realibility for the KP-1 kept me away from it).
General Comments
What do I play - multi car pile-up jazz? Coma rock? Organic glitchcore? I make categories, dig? And I'm available for gallery showings, steer-roping contests, and brises. Uh, anyway, if you think that the KP-2 might expand your music, drive, don't run to the KP-2 and buy it. I splurged, and I'm glad I did. The online demo sold me immediately - check it out, and then decide for yourself. If you're weird and you don't have this, you're weird.