KillerTone Labs ToneCrafter
Submitted: September 23rd, 2005
by Fred-b6h34
Shocked and surprised. I have been playing the guitar for some 40-odd years. I am a gastroenterologist by trade, but playing the guitar is my passion. Like another reviewer on this page, I like SRV, Robben Ford and others who know how to express themselves on the guitar with minimum flash and maximum soul. I have been through a lot of equipment and I admit, I am a slow learner when it comes to tone. For a long time, I trusted what other people said and not what I heard. Now I know what I like and it obviously has nothing to do with how much you spend. I trust my ears, and to my ear, this is about as good as it gets. A lot of other pedals depend on the Emperors New Clothes phenomenon. Everybody says they're great. They cost a bundle. So they must be great. Truth is, they aren't so great, and some absolutely suck. I bought a Fulltone Deja Vibe, and it sounded like someone let a squirrel loose in my amp. I bought a high-end drive pedal. Sounded like my amp was stuffed with cotton-wool. This pedal provides true tonal clarity, a big bass end and an almost french-horn like sound on some settings. On others, it as brown as brown can be, and being a gastroenterologist, I know brown. This is Van Halen brown, or better. Amazing sound, coming out of this big blue box.
I haven't had it for long, but it is big and heavy. Seems roadworthy. It better be. It's on my pedalboard and it's staying there.
General Comments
I am in a classic rock cover band. Cream, Hendrix, Aerosmith, Zep, EVH, Grand Funk, a little Foo Fighters, etc. You get the idea. We're not great, but people like what we do because we like what we do. Actually, we love what we do. I have made this box part of my personal setup for all of the reasons mentioned above. I think it's funny that for 89 bucks, hidden inside this big blue box, is the holy grail of pedals. Carlos just might have to quit his day job when the word gets out.