KillerTone Labs ToneCrafter
Submitted: March 27th, 2005
by Anonymous Reviewer
Although there are four effects that can be set up, I only use the CloneZ circuit right now. It gives me an excellent boost with added sustain for solos. I use the stock circuit with my Roland BC-60 Blues Cube in my jam band and a slightly modified CloneZ circuit with a Carr Rambler in my rock/blues/R&B band. The pedal has true bypass, so there is no loss of tone when it is not being used, but the switch makes a fairly loud pop when used with the solid state amp. It's quiet with the Carr, though. I can't tell you that it sounds like a Dumble amp or a Holy Grail Marshall Plexi, but I can tell you that the overdrive I get with this pedal is more pleasing than anything else I've tried, which includes pedals by Fulltone, Klon, Barber, Keely, Blackstone and just about everything else. It just seems more musical to my ears. Pretty amazing considering the price and the ability to fine tune without having to solder components!
Although the box is large and not ergonomically designed, it appears to be very well built and I have gigged with it without a backup. I do own two pedals, but one stays in the room where the jam band plays.
General Comments
I've been playing rock, blues, R&B and original material for over 30 years, mostly in small to medium sized clubs. I use a variety of guitars including a Tele, Les Paul, Reverend, Daion, and Harmony, Kay and Galveston resonator (for slide). In my quest for tone I have owned countless effects pedals and dozens of amps. The Tone Crafter is right up there with the best of the best for my ears. Carlos should be commended for his innovation! Considering the price and the versatility of this pedal, you can't go wrong.