John Pearse 300M 80/20 Bronze Acoustic Strings
Submitted: October 20th, 2005
by EmScott
I play bluesy rock and jazzy blues...suits me just fine. Use home-made clones of Fender Deluxe Reverb and blackface Super Reverb. Not noisy. Although clearly a bright guitar, it has lots of midrange complexity. The character and timbre of notes depends a lot on how hard you pick them. I just remembered: there's a pretty cool analysis of humbucker tone in the March 2005 Vintage Guitar ("Humbucker Turns 50", with Les Paul goldtop geetar on cover)...in a glossary on page 130, the author of a humbucker pickup "shootout" defines "quack" as "when trebles mask the other tones when the string is picked", and "spanky" as "attack which quacks as a percussive effect"...anyway, these are very "quacky", very very "quacky" humbucking pickups...
Nothing about this guitar even suggests a reliability problem.
General Comments
I have been playing since the spring of 1969, when I was 13 and 1/2. A very satisfactory and highly cost-effective purchase...I don't know if all Les Pauls and clones are a little neck-heavy (this one is), and they're certainly not lightweight, back-friendly instruments, but I would buy it over in a heartbeat... This "thin-waisted" guitar is a little uncomfortable to play while sitting...the reason is that the neck is so close to the floor, so the amount of wrist flexion needed in the left hand is a little carpal-tunnel-enhancing...surely this is a class-specific effect with the Les Paul body design, not confined to Agiles alone.