Hughes & Kettner Tube Tools Tube Rotosphere MKII
Submitted: August 6th, 2008
by Helmey
This unit is very quiet even when cranked up and the tube circuit adds the nice warmth and analog distortion for those Deep Purple tunes. The output signal is extremely clean and full-range. You can literally "hear" the quality in this box. I don't own a leslie speaker but I've been around the block a few times and the leslie effect in the Rotosphere is the most convincing of any box I've heard. You can feel the 3D effect of the spinning rotors and having separate speeds for the high and low rotor makes a noticeable difference in the overall sound quality and accuracy of the effect.
This box is built like a tank and the knobs, switches and connectors are all rock solid. If look and feel are an indicator of quality, this box will be the last thing to break in my studio. The only area of concern is the tube, which is very well protected against impact, but it is inherently delicate and because of that, I won't be throwing this pedal around like my old MXR pedals. One other note is that the power supply does not look like a standard connector and may be hard to replace at Radio Shack.
General Comments
I love this pedal so much! It's transformed my CX3 into a new instrument that rocks and I love the build quality and sound quality that H&K delivers second to none. The only bummer is that I waited so long to buy one! From now on the Rotosphere is a permanent part of my rig. If it were stolen, I'd buy another immediately and cast a voodoo spell on the thief for his testicles to fall off. I've purchased some fun musical toys in the last year, but this one was the nicest surprise and has put the biggest smile on my face by far.