Hughes & Kettner Tube Tools Tube Rotosphere MKII
Submitted: September 2nd, 2002
by Jens Lüpke
I own the 'grandma' of all Leslie simulators Dynacord CLS 222...the Rotosphere comes very close to it, but has the great advantage of the build-in tube overdrive, which makes the Rotosphere my favourite simulator for club gigs where i only use a Rhodes and a old CX-3 organ. Be aware to set the in and out levels properly, otherwise you some hiss will be introduced...but this is no prob in live situations. If you know the old version, you know what you get: Swirling leslie sounds with a clearer, crispier horn sound that the CLS 222, but to me, the overall sound is a tad farer away from the 'real thing' than the CLS 222. Matter of taste.....
Seems to be build very sturdy, all metal case with plastic cheeks. The only this i wish for is a build-in supply...this one comes with a wall-wart, and i HATE wall-warts....There seems to be enough space in there, so why not try not put in a transformer?
General Comments
I'm playing Jazz & Funk, using the Rotosphere with an old CX-3 or a NordLead2 (who has some incredible organ capabilities if you're familiar in how to programm these patches). I'm very happy with this piece of equipment, because i don't have to haul my 19" effects rack around (instead of hauling a real Leslie, too ;-) )