Hohner D6 Clavinet
Submitted: January 27th, 2010
by abwdds
This keyboard is the KING SUPREME of Funk...at what it does, nothing else can touch it. The Nords, as good as they are, have the attack but don't have the release sounds that the Clav has. The light action really responds to fast funky riffs. And the action is extremely responsive to the touch (at least velocity, not aftertouch...like a piano). There is definitely a magic in feeling the vibrating strings thru the keys that you get from nothing else.
I don't gig with the one I have now (I'll take the Nord Electro 3), but I gigged for years with a previous D6 that I had...and NEVER had a problem, not even with the tuning.
General Comments
There is no replacing a real Clavinet. If you can find a decent one nowadays (and afford it...they go for alot), latch onto it with tenacity...and don't let go. Definitely worth it's weight in platinum. For what it does, nothing else quite measures up. It is instant funk when plugged in...but plug a wah-wah pedal, and the heavens open wide. Like a Hammond B3 or Rhodes, this is definitely a one-of-a-kind vintage piece...in my mind, a must have for any keyboardist that played in the 70's or 80's. Playing one is definitely a visceral experience, just like the aforementioned keyboards.