Hammond XPK100 MIDI Pedal Board For XK-2
Submitted: September 16th, 2005
by Son of Jimmy
Great settings for gospel, rock, blues, jazz. Presets named after players or bands (i.e. one setting is "Purple," another "Booker," "Jimmy1" & "Jimmy2," etc.). The keys play great (waterfall, baby). Vibrato, chorus, percussio, all good stuff. Leslie sim just sounds weird to my ears.
Not sure yet. Keyboard is great if you use the presets. If you get more complicated, you gotta remember more button-pushes but it's eminently do-able.
General Comments
It's not a B-3, and if B-3 players can get over the fact that this is a digital duplicate and isn't the real thing, they'll love it. Seriously. nothing can replace a B-3. If you're laying that task on this keyboard you'll be unhappy. But for everyone else, your backs will be saved because you aren't lugging around a B-3, so that's a plus, and you can get a pretty reasonable approximation of the classic Hammond sound (and the infinite variations used by your fave players). XK-3 is quite an upgrade, I hear, but is it an upgrade worth $2500? This keyboard can be had out there in the used market for $600-$1000, and in my mind, a great value. For the XK-3's price, it had better do everything this keyboard does plus wash my dishes and shovel my snow. XK-2 is worth the price. If this keyboard were stolen I'd probably think hard about a Nord Electro but I'd end up finding another XK-2 used because the Nords cost enough more that this one wins out.