Hammond XPK100 MIDI Pedal Board For XK-2
Submitted: April 11th, 2003
by Anonymous Reviewer
This organ is as close as I could find to an authentic B3 sound for a portable keyboard. Using the presets, you can get the Jimmy Smith tone , the Deep Purple tone, or the Hammond church tone. I am using a Roland KC500 which is cool, but if I had it to do over, I would get a Motion sound Pro Leslie with seperate boxes-the hi freq spinning horn w a separate low freq bass speaker for the Leslie effect.. You could also use a real Leslie, but then you face the same issues as using a real B3- old, probably very used parts, and hard to get around.
I use this for jams all the time, and have never had any problems. I will mention here that I am a new keyboard player, and this is my first keyboard, playing guitar as my primary instrument. Yeah, I dived right in, but I wanted the Hammond B3 sound, and this is as close as I could find to the real thing, after shopping around for a few years. so far, so good. As i stated previously, the only problem I've had is the volume drop when switching on the Leslie effect.
General Comments
So far, I haven't seen anything else on the market that I would prefer over the XK-2 for authentic B3 tone. maybe in 5 or 10 years, but now- this is it! Also, I DID get a deal on it, as it was a floor model and had a small chip on the wood, which got me $200 knocked off the price. The only point I am taking off is for-you guessed it-the Leslie effect volume drop.