Gibson Les Paul Jr. Lite
Submitted: November 5th, 2006
by timewarpbandman
I compared it to my original 1959 Les Paul Special.The Special has more bite and the Lite is warmer. Both will knock the socks off most player grade instruments. A guitar, while I like ogling, is an instrument to play. It has the variety to get clean, bright to distorted, grinding tone. The lite was used alot last summer in the classic rock/blues house band I am in.
Added straplocks. It has had its share of smoky bar exposure. Finish seems a little thin with softer wood than my other guitars. Reliable. Always bring two guitars to a gig. They are wiped down after the gig and then cleaned better the next day.
General Comments
I regularly rotate five guitars for live playing, based on my mood. about 50% classic rock and 50% blues. Our lineup is Blues, Stones, Beatles, ZZ Top, George Thorogood, Foghat, The Clash, some surf music for breaks, and other 1960's to 1980's music that is well recognized and hard to resist not dancing. This guitar handles it all very well for a lot less money that one can easily spend. I notice that my set neck guitars(Gibson Les Paul Jr Lite, Heritage Prospect Standard, Robin Artisan) seem to sustain a little better than bolt on ones(Peavey T60, Fender Telecaster). I play the guitars through a Pod 2.0 into a Fender Bassman 60 amplifier. The Pod and Amplifier are very dependable, durable. The Lite, Pod 2.0, Bassman amp combo definately get the job done. I chose this Lite as it looks like my original 59 LP Special. I don't play the 59 out much as it is too valuable and an antique. The Lite's neck is thinner and the frets are bigger, but all in all, very similar to the original. While I have to fight a little with the frets compared to my other gits, the results are worthwhile.