FireBelly Amplifier Company PR1512
Submitted: September 10th, 2008
by CindyBluesBabe
With high output humbuckers, this amp really comes alive. Single pickups were almost as punchy but there was a little more hum at higher volume. The amp compresses really nice when you turn it up to the 5-6 range. The reverb and tremelo were what you would expect from a black face PR amp. Reverb was full and you don't have to go much past 3-4. I like the addition of the Master volume control and was able to compress and overdrive at room level volume -- cool feature! With the Master all the way up, the amp had clean glassy headroom until about 5 on the volume control. Then the compression starts and you get that full, ballsy sustain. The compression was really good, but I'd recommend a pedal if you want more of a metal sound out of this amp. I liked the thick bag that covered the reverb tank.
Have only had this amp a short time. I was told that the builder has been constructing amps for about 35 years. The amp came with a 1-year guarantee. The cabinet feels solid and I didn't detect any rattle. The reverb tank was inside a padded bag and screwed down to the base of the cab. Only time will tell, but this amp feels like it was solidly built.
General Comments
I've been playing for the past 30 years. I've had a Marshall solid state 100 watt and Soldano SLO100 with cab. If this amp were lost, I would have it replaced with another Firebelly amp. Though, I'd probably get one of their 30 watt or higher models. This amp sounds as good as any original black face amp and is as good or better than the original PRBF (pre-CBS). I think 15 watts is almost not loud enough for gigging, but I purposely wanted an amp that wasn't too loud or I would have purchased another model from Firebelly.