FireBelly Amplifier Company PR Series 30W 1x12
Submitted: October 3rd, 2009
by 20TG09
I usually play dry or with a little slap echo...My Lollar pick-ups Tele and my old 1960 Gibson ES-330 sound great with this amp...I presently don't have any humbucker equipped guitars...I A/B'd the Firebelly with my vintage 65 Princeton Reverb and at lower volumes the Firebelly can't compete...However when playing louder with the master volume/volume pots tweeked just right, the sound expands showing a mighty nice tube rectifier sweet spot...I would call it a "modern voice" tube sound, sweet and punchy but not to sweet...Loud too, this amp can definitely rock the party...I strongly recommend the master volume option if you go for this amp...Without it I think the sound might seem a bit brittle at lower volumes...With the master volume you can feather the edge as you like...I give it a "9" on sound only because nobody beats the vintage black face Fender "10" for chimey transparency...This amp does however beat any Fender reissue hands down at about the same price point...I also recommend the mid tone pot control option.
It's a 6 month old tube amp and nothings gone wrong yet...The over all impression is of a 100% high quality build, inside and out.
General Comments
I first went on tour at age 17 with a small group fronting a gospel/soul R&B singer about 400 years ago and have an extensive collection of vintage Fender amps, the Fire Belly is an excellent addition and a lot of high quality tube amp for the price...I like this amp more than I did when it was first delivered and thats a good sign.