Fender Three Button Footswitch for Pro 185 Amp
Submitted: January 16th, 2008
by Clarky-eBh4q
For clean sounds this amp is just stunning. At any volume the sound is crystal clear. A bit of 'dirt' can be coaxed into the sound for some nice sharp blues tones. The distortion is not to my taste, so I don't use the amps distortion, but with the appropriate effects plugged in it can handle distortion and overdrive from Creedence through to Metallica easily. I've tried Strats, a Washburn KC-70V, an ESP fitted with Dimarzio Evolutions through the amp, and there were tones abvailable to handle them all. The amp is very quiet.
The soldering was in a very poor state when I first got the amp, so I got a technician to go right though the whole amp and he checked, resoldered and replaced any dry joints or faulty parts. Apprently this is a common fault, but once rectified is a permanent repair. The amp's sound would break up (in a bad way) at anything other than very low volumes, but now it is stable as anything. The repair cost me NZ$80. I've gigged with it since for perfect performance. I'll give it a 6 as people buying these amps should be aware the electrics may need some loving.
General Comments
I've been playing 21 years, and this is the best sounding and most versatile amp I've owned. Sure, there are better amps at handling purely high-gain, but for this amp's ability to handle pop, jazz, blues and rock/metal it really takes the cake. A tube amp is nice, but I'd hate to arrive at a gig with a faulty valve. It's a very heavy amp, but for the available tones and volumes it is perfect for my needs.