Fender Stage 185
Submitted: July 6th, 2018
by Beloved70
Couldn't afford the Vox AC15 I wanted. Spotted the Fender transistor powered amp on Ebay. Initially I got it for the clean sound. Then I heard the distorted tones. Amazing ! With some careful EQ the contour and mid range controls really have a lot of range going from (sort of) Boogie to Deluxe sounds quite easily. Stuart Adamson out of Big Country used one a lot. Some don't like the overdrive sounds and compared to my Bandit, they are on the fizzy side. But the top end tames nicely and tell amp has a greal sound. Fantastic cleans to nice heavy crunch, which I add a tubescreamer to smooth it out a little. The effects loop has a gain control which is very useful to keep those effects running at the right volume. Never runs out of steam live and with a loud drummer I've had the up to 7 before. It rocks! Don't be put off by the speaker. It's like the Electro Voice ones I used to hear in Dumbles. Nice spread of sound. In a local studio this blew the Vox into the shadows. Louder and simply better! No need for PA with this amp, it's 150 watts, add the extra speaker to claim the full 185.
Build like a tank. Mines 31 years old and is perfect.
Like a lot of 80s gear, it's a real bargain if you need a live amp for the cost of an effects pedal.
General Comments
Great amp. Go try one or any of the red knobs Fenders.
Used lots of gear in my 30 plus years playing. In a band recording playing lI've with all the gear I review.