Fender Footswitch For Princeton Chorus Amp
Submitted: February 17th, 2010
by Steve-nUroL
At the time I bought the PC, I was in my teens and I had a crappy (literally, a piece of total garbage) guitar, but the Princeton Chorus made that glorified piece of plywood sound half-way decent. Now I run a Rickenbacker through it on the clean chanel, and it sounds simply glorious. Like you'll read in other user reviews, it takes a bit of tweaking to get the gain-limiter to work for you without obliterating your tone. The chorus is simply lush. I can turn the clean chanel up to 9 or 10 and not hear much distortion, which is perfect for the chimey type of music I like to listen to myself play. I've lately been falling in love with delay. If you get a good delay pedal through this thing, you can sound like The Edge in a heartbeat (I know he likes Vox AC30s, but you can get pretty close).
After 15 years I've never had a major problem with this amp. I've had two minor problems: (1) I found the settings I liked and left them there and not turning the knobs (other than volume) for a couple of years can make the pots sound a bit... I don't know... scratchy; and (2) sometimes the low end bass notes at very high volumes cause a rattling somewhere inside the thing and I haven't pulled her apart to find out why. If you just turn the knobs back and forth a few times to lube things up the scratchiness goes away, so the first one isn't a huge deal.
General Comments
I tend to find what I like and stick to it, but other friends have run their guitars of various makes and models though the Princeton Chorus and nobody has ever complained... in fact, they've all been pretty impressed by the tone quality. I've run my guitars through other people's amps and not liked the way they sounded as much as I do through my Princeton Chorus. The only thing I wish it had would be tubes... just so my friends would stop trying to convince me I'm missing out on the whole tube amplifier thing when I use it. I would buy another if mine were lost or stolen. Plug your guitar into one and if you like it, buy it. I have never heard a nicer sounding solid state amp in the price range you'll find this one in. The only reason I can't give it 10s is that it just doesn't get loud enough for big gigs. I'm not a pro, but sometimes even us small time guys get a chance to play somewhere big.