Fender Footswitch For Princeton Chorus Amp
Submitted: May 17th, 2009
by Unfrozen
Tone. If you gave it less than a 10 here, you are again, an idiot. I have a 59 and a 56. The 59 has been recapped and sounds absolutely wonderful- original oxford. The 56 is 100% original, no recap, and sounds absolutely wonderful- original Jensen. I prefer the 59 for clean and its sizeably LOUDER than the 56 but the 56 KILLS the 59 for OD... Its starts to OD at 3... And no thats NOT because it needs a recap (though it does). The 59 is a 5F2-A and the 56 is a 5F2 so not sure what the -A change was to the circuit. May also have nothing to do with the difference. Ive used the same tubes in both and they are just night and day but BOTH still have that tweed midrange....
My 56 has had NOTHING but a tube change in 53 years- if you put less than a 10 here you are again, an idiot.
General Comments
I have 2. I sold my other amps. I run them in stereo and its just unreal... Use one for fx and run the other dry- dont forget to lift all your grounds but one. The ONLY drawback is the 8 inch speaker- no bottom. Which is cool but I at times admit I miss the low end when you let an open e or a hang... But for recording or a small club, its amazing how good you can sound... The kicker... I bought both of them from GUITAR CENTER... Ebay is a scary place for these and strangely enough my local GC has had two over the past few years. I bought both. I paid high for one but to get to actually go through the amp and play it is worth every penny! I hate GC and both times was there for strings and picks- but keep an eye out! They also had an original reverb tank but that sold... damn.