Fender 3150XL Pure Nickel Wound Original Bullets Extra Light Electric Guitar Strings
Submitted: October 23rd, 2005
by Randy-j4mzA
I was surprised by how good this amp sounds. I compared it to the Marshall MG15DFX, which I originally intended to purchase, and was impressed with the Bullet's superior clean and mild distortion sounds, better sounding and wider choice of effects, and comparable heavy distortion. The Bullet sounds amazingly big, warm, rich, and tube-like. It delivers a good approximation of classic Fender blackface clean, a nice mild to mid-level distortion reminiscent of cranked tweeds, and a decent approximation of classic Marshall heavy distortion. The amp reacts to picking dynamics remarkably well for a solid state unit. The effects sound very good. It's not a blackface Super Reverb, but what more can one expect for under $160?
Too soon to tell.
General Comments
This is a very fine choice for a practice amp, or a beginner's amp. It has a wide range of very good and dynamic sounds; it sounds like a much bigger amp; it's very fun to play; and it's an amazing value. I've been playing electric guitar for over 35 years. I've always preferred tube amps, and I have owned some great ones, including several blackface Fenders. It's amazing how far solid state amps have come since they first appeared on the scene a few decades ago.