ernie ball 2002 Earthwood 80/20 Bronze Medium Acoustic Strings
Submitted: December 12th, 2005
by kungfusheriff-cwY0k
Sound? Just beautiful, the reason I spent a decade hunting down this model, which sounds much like most ABGs but louder and with a usably full E string and overall a more full and open sound. The bass doesn't really reach its full potential fingerstyle, at least with my fingers, and the use of a pick nails the Violent Femmes ABG sound so many are familiar with. I prefer plucking the bass with the pad of my thumb, which yields a terrifically warm and full sound and literally moves air--you can feel puffs of air coming out of the soundhole when thumb-plucking a C on the E string.
My bass appears to be gently used, with thumbnail marks in the rosette being the worst damage, but I treat it gently and keep it in the bag when not playing it. A weld on one of the tuning keys has come loose, leading to rattling on the low notes, but I don't take that as indicative of the instrument's quality.
General Comments
As I said above, I played every ABG I came across during the 10 years I looked for an Earthwood, and passed on every one. I'm glad I did. If it was lost or destroyed, I'd pick up and start looking for another one, even if it took me another decade. If it were stolen, well, hope I don't find it tucked away in your basement.