Electro-Harmonix XO Stereo Polyphase Guitar Effects Pedal
Submitted: August 20th, 2001
by Jens Lüpke
This on sound great !! I use it with my Rhodes...As someone said below the sweep mode sounds much like the SmallStone...when you kick in the feedback it turns to be more like the MXRPhase100. The envelope section sounds pretty strange...the harder you hit, the more the phase shifts...+ you can add normal modulation with the independant LFO..so you can say this one has two pre-set sounds. It's a dead quiet unit (exept you turn up feedback to full, but this is normal...). Over the time, this unit became essential to my sound. Listen to Weather Report's 'Scarlet Woman' ,this is the sound this one produces. (I know, Joe uses a Mutron BiPhase, but you can get exactly his sound). Never would give it away :-)
The stomp switch is a standart Carling, the metal housing looks dependable... Not 'tank-proof' like the BOSS pedals, but it works. This one is mains powered, so no trouble with wall-warts. Never failed till today :-)
General Comments
I have a SmallStone and a Schulte Compact Phasing 'A', but nothing comes close to this. From smooth and lush to harsh and gargle, everything works! They are hard to find, so if you do, grab it, its worth the money. If you want basic phasing + some 'off-sound' possibilities, this is your pedal :-)