E-MU Proteus X2 Software Sound Module
Submitted: August 8th, 2006
by kathnrich
I think the samples are well articulated and a tremendous amount of thought and work went into this product. Some of the samples are simply awesome. Some are weak and lame for what I do. This is true with allllll products of this nature. This may not be the case with other players. Some of the lead synth sounds are great. I personally like Strings, Gorgeous solo violins and nice full String sections. (By the way, it does have some Mellotron samples that are ok to not bad. They are definitely usable.) Had a Mellotron so, being that said. I also use Horns, some lame some very good. Nice round trumpets, Trombones, nice big Brass ensembles and sucky saxes. I think the supplied Studio Grand is worth its' weight. Most of the EP's are ok, one or two are very good. I like a nice full EP and they are there. Most are tight but tweakble.
I believe it is going to be as reliable as your PC. Which must have a fast hard drive, high bus speed and fast CPU. There is something called streaming which is dependent on your bus and drive speeds. I would not use anything less then a P4. Two gig ram. I have 512 and that is barely enough.
General Comments
have been playing for about 15 years. I have used Ensoniq/E-MU in the past with good luck. Own an Ensoniq ASR-10, E6400 Ultra With excellent results. I have always thought that E-MU had one of the most realible/quality sounds on the market for years. The Proteus X2 is really a neat tool. Wonderful high quality, big samples. I honestly feel the "Studio Grand" that comes with the software is second to none for the amount you pay for this package and far beyond. It is 70 meg of Samples that sound like you are on the real thing. I know, we're going to hear the squeaks out there who will pick it apart, but hey, thats what this is all about. Most of the samples are usable and easily tweekable.