E-MU Proteus X2 Software Sound Module
Submitted: July 9th, 2008
by dave-z.5ey
Crunchy kits gr8 for funky house. Lots of cheesey synth sounds but also some but not enough atmospheric stuff. Would be nice if there was more arps and better pads were included i find the pads to harsh or thin, there is one thats gr8 i forget the name if you find it write it down but more pls emu guys and leave sounds raw we dont want euro trash etc.. I'd of been dissapointed if i'd bought the hardware p2000 due to lack of pads etc... Just a case of searching for what you want as there is a smallish percentage of very usable sounds. I'm planning on getting the techno construction yard as the orbit had no such shortage of atmos pads etc..The Drums are gr8 fresh sounding. Some of the pianos sound good also for something so cheap they sound very good shocking almost. I'm a big fan of emu stuff. I wish they'd do other deals on their sound cards and chuck in say the techno synth rom and maybe a vintage one or something. Im sure everybodys got the same world, protean mo phatt which i've found aren't anything special but still some usable stuff. The bugs in this do limit creativity a bit I never feel quite in control with software emulations. This does take it a bit further than your average soft synth which IMO are a waste of time but still its not gr8. Its harder to stumble across the times you go wow thats it and you might instead be wishing the preset was gr8 to begin with. Also whats this cakewalk bias E-mu. Dont you know %85 of the world sequence with Cubase. Is the extreme lead a cakewalk upgrade only or what. I'm curios to find out where they take it if they do keep extending the library. I suppose this option makes it endless which is nice and beats żż150 hardware upgrade although some of the librarys are that pricey and you dont wanna pay big money and get euro trash and bagpipes?
I'm a bit dubious about this all being on a cd rom. What if it scratches and they come in small paper sleeves? I think i'll upgrade them to a plastic holder especially the X2 cd rom. Makes sure you have plenty of ram and a fast cpu. I wouldnt run this on anything less than a dual core with 1 gb of ram minimum but 2 or more is recommended. It doesn't hog that much resources on my system but anything slower it might.
General Comments
Its a good sound source for the money. I've used emu stuff before and been very impressed and this is no dissapointment minus the few bugs which do let it down a great deal. Wish it was more versatile and like i said less buggy loading and choosing sounds. Be nice if it had Gary Gregson programming it who made xg edit back in the 90's. But still its gr8 value for money.