Dynacord CLS-222 Leslie Simulator
Submitted: November 3rd, 2001
by Jens Lüpke
I've listened to real Leslies and some emulators like the Leslie mode from the Boss SE-70 multi-effector, this one is the closest thing to real world! Perfect matching between rotors and realistic speed-up and speed-down behaviour :-). My setup is something weird, but sounds incredible :-). NordLead 2 (has some quite usefull 'Hammond-a-like' patches) into Fender Blues DeLuxe (40W all Tube Amp, 1x12", has a nice 'drive' feature) and the CLS222 located in the amps insert point = great, crunchy, realistic organ sounds :-).
The housing is a normal quality rack unit, so mounted in a rack there should not be any problems with reliability. I opened it up for visual inspection, the PCB is good example of propper work and craftsmanship :-)
General Comments
Usually, i play more kind of Weather Report-like stuff, but sometimes i do backup jobs for a blues-rock band in my area. When it comes to this, this is the thing i go for for leslie-ing :-) Surely, sound-wise, the 'real thing' is the limit, but if you're on a small club stage, this unit safes a lot of space, so i can bring my Rhodes along :-) Never would give it away now...