Dobro Hound Dog Resophonic Guitar
Submitted: January 18th, 2006
by Happyresoguy
I'm somewhat of a collector player. I have three Nationals and one Epiphone Biscuit to compare it to. Its a different animal than the National (Radiotone)for example. I tried one of these a year ago and went blah. But I was hung up on my Radiotone at the time. This time however when I tried it at a GC store I thought Humm... It was loosely strung at the store. After bringing it up to key at home and letting the strings and cone settle in it gets better and louder each time I play it. I kinda like the heavier D'Addario Reso strings on my Nationals but what ever comes on this (maybe mediums)seems just fine. It really has a very nice Dobro bluesy sound playing flat picking, finger picks, bare fingers, and of course slide. I do tend to like the wider National necks but after a few weeks with this I like it a lot. Its easy to play in regular tuning with chords with the neck width. etc. For the money spent compared to more pricey resonators I have to give this a 10.
The guitar is great for live playing using a mic. Or acoustic unplugged very nice.
General Comments
Been playing since I was a baby. Too old to stay up till 3 AM anymore to do it full time. Other guitars and equipment??? Don't ask:) It wouldnt get lost and probably not stolen but I would get another. Comparing to other resonators: Nationals are a differnt bird sounding and playing. The Epiphone Biscuit is an nice entry level reso but again not the tone of this guitar. I try not to waste time and money anymore on offshore knock-offs. The reason we buy acoustic guitars is the sound and everytime I play this guitar I say "I LIKE THIS GUITAR" For the money spent it's a 9 or 10 in this price class as you probably are aware Dobro prices go up quickly from here.