Dean RESH Resonator Heirloom
Submitted: February 6th, 2009
by Bluzman-gcbRT
As for the sound characteristics, this guitar has that low Delta blues growl and the metal body which is plated steel and not copper delivers the resonanace we all know, want, and LOVE!!! I am playing this guitar in a bluegrass band cuz it's a roundneck; it is miked and does the job adequately. The sound is bright and tonally right where i want it to be. I am not gonna change the cone like some folks do cuz then I would have bought the National or Dobro in the first place. There aren't a lot of things to dislike about this striking looking guitar. Sound wise and appearance wise too.
The Dean plays just as well as any other provided it is set up to your liking by yourself or your local guitar tech. The guitar did not have a strap button on the heel of the neck so I installed one and it it baalnced just right for standing or sitting. For playing with a steel bar Dobro style, I recommend a wide leather strap to prevent neck and back pain this thing IS heavy!!! Once again, fit and finish and sound are what makes this a solid value for your hard earned bucks.I have seen the brass model, and it is damn fine too.
General Comments
After thirty years of twisting strings and 25 years as a guitar tech, I KNOW what the better features of guitars are and if they were well thought out B4 they put the wood in the machine to make it. If it were lost or stolen I would hope that I would not make the mistake that a lot of musicians do and that is to NOT HAVE insurance of some kind...sure you may not have paid too much for a Dean, but, at crunch time if the bar burns down or something you will be covered to get a replacement.I like this resonator and would buy another if need be.