Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 08
Submitted: January 20th, 2008
by abwdds
Velocity and aftertouch are very expressive and helpful. The instruments are not realistic simulations of acoustic instruments...but hey...this is a analog synth, not a sample playback maching. The sounds SIZZLE...very hard to explain, until you hear it next to a Virus or Nord. Don't get me wrong...I love my Viruses and Nord to death (they have very specific strengths), and I'll never part with them...but this synth just JUMPS out of your speakers with a CLEAR, SIZZLING sound that is so warm and fat. No effects here...the sound is all 100% analog. Listen to it, and you'll know why !!
I don't know how reliable it would be gigging, but I suspect that it would be great, due to the level of refinement on this keyboard. And I'm doubly sure that DSI would be on any repairs with blinding speed (read below).
General Comments
I have a ton of gear (2 Viruses, 3 Nords, a Moog Voyager, 2 Yamaha Motif XS's, 3 Hammond organs/w Leslies...etc.). I have been playing for over 40 yrs...and now this monster. Among all these stellar boards, this one stands out. I love everything about it (except maybe the power wall-wart). The way I look at it, my VA's are slick...but the Prophet '08 is powerful in a very big way. As you can tell, I absolutely and catagorically LOVE THIS SYNTH. Please, please...try it out alongside a VA. Unless your totally deaf, you'll immediately see what I mean (actually, if you have the $$, you'll probably walk out with both the Prophet '08 and the Virus TI. Very complementary boards...