Cort CJ7X
Submitted: April 15th, 2009
by timewarpbandman
Because of its maple construction, it has a very clear, bright, loud, balanced, sustained crisp sound. I have played it in bluegrass jams and it cuts through the mix and really stands out when picked. Ths sound is rich, not thin. I play bluegrass, country, rock and it handles it all well. By adjusting the various eq and presence dials, it can "chameleon" into different types of music. I can even play surf music on this axe. The only small dislike is that the strings could be adjusted lower higher up on the neck. However, when looked at by knowledgeable guitar people, they advise leaving it alone as too low action does not suit itself to hard strumming, which is a large part of what I am playing in bluegrass. Most of the picking is done at the low end, anyhow.
Playing live without a backup will eventually catch up with you. So, I never play professionally without a backup. I have played this at informal settings so far and it has not failed. Everything seems solid. The finish is really shiny but the guitar is pretty new so can't predict its future.
General Comments
I have been playing since the mid 1960's, owned a lot of stuff, most of it is gone. Up until 3 months ago, always played rock and roll, the blues on solid body electric Tele, LP and similar guitars. Moved and got into bluegrass, which requires acoustic and different type of playing. Picked this up to augment my Guild D25, Yamaha CJ818 acoustics. My favorite features for this Cort are its stunning looks, high quality workmanship, onboard tuner and Fishman pickup system, sound projection and playability. This is a worthwhile instrument to replace if stolen/lost. Rare find in USA as these are mainly sold in Europe.