Clavia Nord Lead 2X
Submitted: May 23rd, 2009
by abwdds
Sounds are fabulous...but remember, this is not a sampler/ROMpler/workstation...it does synthesizers. Keyboard is very light and responds to velocity only, not aftertouch. There again, early analogs did not even respond to velocity. A place for this instrument could be found in virtually any type of music.
I have owned every Clavia keyboard made at one time (most I still own). They are all ULTRA DEPENDABLE...I have never had a problem with a single one. I would definitely not be afraid to gig this without a backup.
General Comments
If it were stolen, I would replace it immediately with another. I paid $899 for mine brand new, with the Clavia soft case thrown in for free...that deal was a STEAL !! In fact, it is easily worth twice that, in my opinion. I am a gear junkie with G.A.S., and have owned just about every analog and VA synth made at one point. I try to keep a piece for a period of time, and if it doesn't "work" for me, then it goes on eBay. Three pieces of gear that have come on a one-way trip are my Minimoog Voyager, my DSI Prophet '08 Anniversary, and my Nord Lead 2X. It, like all my Clavia gear, is built like a rock, with metal casing as opposed to the plastic that seems to be the norm. I understand that they no longer import the NL2x to the U.S.(???????), but I see that you can have one shipped from the U.K. for $1799 (twice what I paid). Other than my small niggles with the memory and display issues, I can not think of what I would do to improve this synth...maybe putting on a velocity/aftertouch responsive keyboard. Still, it is what it is...not perfect, but awesome just the same.