CB Basses S-Bass
Submitted: January 20th, 2004
by Ericman197
Great sounding bass, easilly rivals many more expensive models. Easilly blows my Carvin out of the water tone wise. Smooth and full on the neck and dry on the bridge. Blended together, the bass yields and extreme, overly bassy sound with great overtones from the bridge. I put it in the middle for playing with a pickup and move it to the right or left as necessary. With fingers it tends to be muddy with both pickups on full, so I'll tend to either go for bridge or neck alone. I run this bass into a Tech 21 Sansamp RBI preamp which goes into my QSC PLX 1202 poweramp and into a pair of Acme Low B-2s. With the blend knob on my preamp up, the bass has a very thick creamy sound. When I turn the knob all the way down it has a very Weezer - Only In Dreams type of tone with the right settings. Because of the relatively simple electronics on both my preamp and on the bass, I can dial in a number of different tones very quickly and easilly.
This bass feels extremely solid, much more so than any bass I've ever played. I would definetely gig without a backup. It's a bit heavier than I expected it to be, but I really like it. It's a solid built bass, as opposed to my more flimsy Carvin.
General Comments
Overall, I give this bass a 10. For the price I paid, it's definetely the best value around. However, if I were to have ordered it as a custom it'd be significantly more expensive, so I graded it as such. There are minor changes I would make to it... the B, while better than most is still floppy. To remedy that I would get a 36 or 38" scale in the future. I also wish it had been a neck through. In all likelyhood I'll be going back to Cliff for my next bass as he's flexible on options and doesn't charge a whole lot. There are a lot of great luthiers out there, but most of them tend to be a bit rigid on the wood selection. With Cliff, you can pretty much get anything you want at a very reasonable price. That's the advantage of going to a smaller business.