CB Basses Big McNeely
Submitted: July 31st, 2009
by Scott McNeely
The tone on this bass is killer! I asked Cliff to have Kent Armstrong make me a quad coil pickup, but Kent Armstrong didn't offer one. So Mr. Armstrong took two quad coil pickups and tied them together. The pickup sounds as huge as it looks paired with the Audere Z mode preamp. It also doubles as a ramp, making it much easier to play fast runs on. I really like that Cliff offers about any kind of electronics that you can think of to order. The Audere Z mode preamp is very flexible. This bass has a Wenge neck, and it has more growl than any of the ten Warwick basses that I use to own.
This bass is solid! I have two other CB basses that I have had for over a year or two now, and they still look and feel like new. My other two hardly ever have to have the trust rods adjusted because the necks are so strong, so I think this one will be no different.
General Comments
I feel like I got another bass that I plan on keeping forever. This was the first time that I had Cliff make a bass with a custom body style that I had dreamed up. It was a lot of fun working with him and seeing how patient he was with some of the ideas I had him try. I'm a big guy, and I wanted a larger CB Ball bass body to fit me. Cliff went out of his way and gave me a bass that looked and sounded just like I had dreamed of. I find his prices to be more than fair when comparing him to other builders that will offer you what they call a custom bass, but limit you to a small amount of options. I highly doubt that this will be my last order from CBBasses.