Carvin SX300
Submitted: February 22nd, 2007
by timewarpbandman
Sounds are clean, gritty or creamy blues tone, and creamy to screaming hi gain. Each channel defines good not definition without mud. I play humbucker guitars so the tone from the amp is meaty. On the blues and hi gain channel, when turned way up with a lot of gain, there is white noise in the background. The clean is clean all the way up as there is no gain adjustment. The amp is played in clubs and bars.
When I first got the amp, the blues channel emitted noise even when turned all the way down. The Carvin tech's figured out a solution over the phone, which I did with some contact spray. No problems ever since. I like solid state as these types of amps are very reliable and provide almost the same tone.
General Comments
Been playing since 1964. Still play regularly with a fifteen year, blues/classic rock band, which stays pretty busy. I have been through a lot of amps. In the last 7 years the Roland JC120 was the main deal but it is large, bulky, heavy and really is overkill in most of the rooms we play. What attracted me to the CARVIN SX300 was its smaller size, much lighter weight, but yet is reliable, good tones and with note definition. It is a good deal at about $400 new. I might buy the optional footswitch, but it is no biggie.