Carvin SX-300 212 Combo
Submitted: October 22nd, 2007
by timewarpbandman
We record our shows and when played back, the guitar has the following clone sounds. Clean channel sounds like a Fender twin. Blues channel sounds like a vintage Fender Bassman with drive. It has the mojo factor. Dirty channel sounds like a turned up Marshall. Real rock sounds. All channels have tweakability to get your unique sound. I play with humbucker guitars and the amp handles them well. I find each guitar's sound unique so have to tweak the amp's knobs a little to handle each of five rotating gigging guitars. The amp is not noisy, nor tempermental.
I had to replace the input jack, which other prior reviewers pointed out is made of flimsy plastic. Jack was about $10 including shipping and installation $25. The blues channel volume knob needed replacment when I bought it used. Same price for part and installation. Since then, it has gone up and down steps, subjected to very high summer temps in a van with windows open a crack for several hours, moved around a lot, etc. No problems. No hassles.
General Comments
Started playing in mid 60's with Beatles, Rolling Stones, British invasion and old time rock and roll. I have five gigging rotating guitars-Fender Tele, Gibson LP special, Peavey T60, Heritage Prospect, Robin Artisan. They all take a shine to the Carvin. I just have to dial in each guitar's sweet spots. I bought the channel switching and effects off/on pedal-necessary and very helpful to go from the clean channel for rhythm to the blues middle channel for lead and back again to the clean channel. This amp replaced my Roland JC120-another great amp! However, with the Roland, it was heavy with casters, and you needed some pedals to get effects. What drew my attention to the Carvin is it is about 45 pounds, still gets as loud as my Roland and you save the weight and space to not need effect pedals. You can still use your special special effect pedal with the I/O input in the back.