Boss VF-1
Submitted: February 27th, 2006
by P.Parent
I mainly play Ric 350 and 230 throught the VF-1. Two Vox VR-30 complete the guitar setup. Yes it is noisy when you use the distorsion without any gating, and that's normal. As far as the overall sound quality is concerned I find that most individual fx are very good but never excellent. Don't be fooled by the size od the VF-1, it is a powerful unit with lots of parameters to tweak over each individual fx. My only gripe is that I have not yet found a way to get a puchy clean tone to my liking. I also use the VF-1 as all purpose (keyb - vocals)fx processor.
Had it for 3 years in the studio and I use it live from time to time (I basically don't gig") never a single kickup. Nevertheless I would not trust the wll-wart power supply. Would I gig without a back. Let's put it this way: if I were serioulsly gigging, I would backup any device that is at the heart of my tone. No matter what piece(s)that would be.
General Comments
I've been playing bass and guitar for 35 years. My influence are from classical and prog of the 70's. This unit works for me because I am willing to accept few compromises. I like having all fx in one unit. If it was stolen, I would shop around to see what's new out there.