Boss TU-12 Tuner
Submitted: April 24th, 2005
by Jaime Garamella
Never A/B'ed it to see if it affects guitar tone when off...
Two years after I got it, it started getting really flaky, where it would only "hear" my electric guitar if I applied pressure to the 1/4" plug at the Input jack when tuning. I thought it was dying, so I figured there'd be nothing lost in trying to fix it myself. It turns out the jacks are soldered directly to the circuit board. Over time, the solder joint had come loose. All it took was a quick solder and it was good as new. It's been faultless ever since, and I've definitely dropped it several times since. The one thing that stinks is that the vinyl case it comes in eventually falls apart from being opened and closed so many times. I don't think Boss sells replacements, so you just have to deal with the ugliness of duct tape. I'm thinking of getting a TU-2 or a Peterson strobe pedal tuner for live shows, as I think their jacks are much more roadworthy.
General Comments
I've had it five years, and it consistently tunes my guitar well, and quickly. Cheaper tuners are not as accurate. Worth the $$, although it may need some repair if you use it constantly.