Boss TU-12 Tuner
Submitted: May 6th, 2009
by ep0nym
I run this inline all the time, it has no impact on my sound at all. It tunes brilliantly. Better than my Intellitouch contact tuner and better than the built-in tuner on my Boss ME-50 muliteffects unit. Works fine with solidbody, semiacoustic and acoustic guitars, and solidbody and acoustic bass guitars (except the low E sometimes doesnżżżt get picked up and you need to use the 12th fret harmonic).
Very dependable. I've dropped it, stepped on it, spilt beer on it, and it's fine. After about 7 years of heavy usage (however I got it second hand so it was older than that) I started getting occasional hums and dropouts, and discovered that the input jack had become loose from the circuit board (it's soldered directly on). So I resoldered it and it has been fine ever since (3 years). the flap on the vinyl case eventually came loose (splitting along the fold) but i just gaffa taped it and it's fine.
General Comments
Brilliant. I bought one of these new 15 years ago and it was the only thing my wife and I fought over in our divorce. She won :( so I immediately bought another second hand and have had it now for 10 years. if I lost it or wrecked it I would buy another pronto.