Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-880 Rhythm Machine
Submitted: January 12th, 2008
by saudiopro
Superb sound samples! I'll stress again to MAKE YOUR OWN KITS if you want to get the most out of this box. Yes, it takes some time to go through all those sounds and set each one up, but it is worth it a hundredfold in the long run. I use this mainly for studio work and have never been accused of using a machine. It is that good - if you take the time to work with it!
As with all Roland/Boss gear, I have no worries. If I gigged with it, I would not worry about a backup. Other than physical damage happening to the unit, there is nothing that worries me. Sure, I'd prefer a steel case, but let's be real.
General Comments
Best machine out there at this time, period. I use it for literally everything but hip-hop. Works great for rock, country, metal, alternative - you name it. Have been a writer/arranger for 30 years. It is a great machine for a non-computer-based drum machine - and I own many others. If stolen, I would replace it. The only thing I dont "need" on the unit is the bass, but guitar players seem to love it since they can rehearse the songs with basic bass lines with just this box and headphones. Take time to learn the unit. That is where most everyone falls short. Factory patches and kits are ok for a while, but once you learn the machine forwards and back (which is NOT that hard) you'll be fooling people on recordings. It works transparently in the studio and at home. Cannot think of any practical feature I'd ask for other than being able to program in any measure length desired, but that is not a big deal.