Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-880 Rhythm Machine
Submitted: September 5th, 2008
by SEG
The drum and bass sounds are really great. I've heard some plug-in stuff through good monitors and the DR-880 equals the best and tromps most of the computer based drum programs. Bass sounds are good and it is easy to program bass lines and drum parts that don't sound mechanical. The COSM guitar sounds are ok, as they are 2 generations old (2004) coming from the GT-6. I really wish Roland would extend the life of the product by changing the guitar sounds to the GT-Pro as they did with the small BR-900 recorder. Granted, the guitar sounds as is are not bad and are fine for practice, its just that they don't match my Line 6 X3. However, it's a drum machine and anything above that is icing on the cake. My rating only reflects the drum and bass sounds, not the guitar.
Had it 2 months - no problems. It's a Boss product which means made in Japan (not China) so I'm not worried.
General Comments
I know that these days everything is supposed to be pc or Mac based and independent hardware is considered old hat. I don't care, the bass and drum sounds in the DR-880 are exceptional.