Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-3
Submitted: April 24th, 2007
by briancito
Realistic sounding drums & bass: I had a DR5 before, & it sounded much more "canned". The DR3 gives you a much more realistic (& thus inspiring) rhythm section. The patches are mostly rock oriented; I'd have liked more Latin & jazz, but Boss are aiming for a wide audience. You have to wonder about the house/dance patches - would anybody into that music use this machine?
It's a Boss - surely a byword for reliability.
General Comments
I'm a hobbyist guitarist (over 30 years now), not a drummer - that's what attracted me to this machine. I considered higher-end machines, e.g. the DR880, but realised (thanks in large part to you harmony central reviewers) that with something more sophiticated I'd soon run into the brick wall of my ignorance about drumming. I have little enough time for playing the guitar, let alone getting my head round ghost notes, velocity values etc. Overall, this machine is great value for money, & I'd recommend it to any guitarist: if nothing else it makes you think about rhythm, & appreciate decent drumming more (thus enhancing your overall musical enjoyment). And it certainly beats jamming on your own! I'd probably buy another if stolen. Two complaints: 1. No adapter! What were they thinking? I used up 3 sets of batteries over a weekend of fairly intensive use. At least one point off for not making the adapter standard with the machine. 2. Muting the bass (or drums for that matter) is fiddly - it should be possible at the press of a button.