Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-3
Submitted: June 1st, 2007
by Old Music Guy
Very nice selection of drums sounds, certainly enough for the average home user. The bass sounds aren't as extensive as found on some higher end machines, but at this price, they are a bargain. The velocity-sensitive pads are OK, but you're better off recording the patterns you want and then going in and individually adjusting the volume for each note you played. Also, you won't be able to do anything close to a drum roll on a single pad, so be prepared to have to program in rapid notes. It does have a quantize feature so you can tighten up any "live" pad playing you do. You can also play the pads along with a pre-recorded pattern, so that's a good feature.
I haven't had this long enough to determine reliability. Anyway, I always try to have a backup for everything.
General Comments
This just can't be beat for the price, that's why I gave it a 9. However, if you are looking for a simple drum machine that you just hit a few buttons, then this one is not for you. However, if you want to spend some time programming exactly what you want, you can get this machine to the point where your favorite stuff is just a button or two away. What I didn't like: -The preset patterns are OK, I guess I'm too into making my own to really mess with them too much. They all come with bass accompanyment which never fits what I'm trying to play, however, you can turn off the bass output so you just hear the drums. I also like the bass drum more prominant than featured on the preset patterns. -The unit has stereo outputs, but I would have really liked more seperate outputs for recording individual drums onto separate tracks. But, again, I can live with this limitation for the price. -The operation is NOT intuitive and the manual is fair. But, it's not so bad that I can't get it after some experimentation.