behringer Eurodesk SL2442FX-PRO Mixer
Submitted: June 27th, 2005
by N.S.-Uxr9G
(See lead-in section above.)
I will say this about Behringer... they have a reputation for early equipment failure. In my testing, the first SL2442FX-PRO failed within a few hours of use - one of the two effects processors died. The replacement unit I received to continue testing was one hundred percent reliable. In fact, the replacement unit is the mixer I actually ended up buying. This mixer has been used almost every day now for about six months and is still running without any failures. So... I guess my warning would be this... I don't know if the reputation for early failure is deserved, but my first mixer did fail. If you're buying a Behringer (or any mixer for that matter), I recommend you take it home and burn it in before finalizing the purchase. At least make sure your vendor offers a thirty-day cash back guarantee. Because of the initial failure and because I haven't owned my replacement unit long enough to determine long-term realiability, I'm going to subtract three marks and rate reliability at 7/10.
General Comments
The Behringer SL2442FX-PRO is fantastic value for the money. About the only feature missing is direct channel outputs, but there are four subgroups and individual channel inserts that can be wired for routing to inputs of a recorder. For my use (which is live sound), I couldn't find a quieter, better sounding, more fully featured mixer at twice the price. In this sense, the Behringer SL2442FX-PRO is unmatched in its price class.